Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Green Beans


According to Sacramentogardening.com, beans can be planted in April, May, July, and August. While it is now a bit late, I decided to make a go at a bean crop. For this entire gardening season, I have had an empty bed. This was partly due to growing garlic last winter. I thought it would be ready to pull in May but I had to wait until mid-June. Also, I can be a bit lazy and I didn’t want to pull the weeds. Well a few days ago, I put my laziness aside and pulled the weeds. I then mixed in some dried leaves and threw down my seeds. I planted pole beans along the sides of the bed and bush beans in the middle. I was surprised with how quickly they sprouted. I may have to thin down the plants as I over-seeded, expecting the birds to eat half.

No comments:

Post a Comment